Are you busy during the holidays? Silly question; of course you are! I am as well. If you’re like me you are expecting company for Christmas. If your life is at the moment eerily similar to mine, you’re also a brand new first time mom and the time crunch is--oh my word--really *real*, people! What to do if you like sweets, especially the homemade kind and want to have something baking when family arrives? You could try this easy recipe for divine homemade shortbread! It comes together with only a few ingredients and leaves the house smelling wonderful. It makes a lot of cookies, should you not be able to help yourself from grabbing just one more. As an added bonus, this is for me a seasonal recipe (December is citrus season in Northern California).
Easy Lemon Shortbread
Makes 2 dozen bars
Adapted from a recipe on food.com
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3/4 cup sugar + approx 1/2 Tablespoon as topping
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Cream together butter, sugar and lemon extract. Fold in lemon zest
2. Preheat oven to 300. Carefully fold in flour.
3. Gently press mixture into a 9 x 13” baking pan. Make sure to press the entire surface down evenly.
4. Prick all over with a fork and sprinkle evenly with sugar. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the tops just begins to get golden.
5. Let stand for about 5 minutes to cool, then cut into bars. Do not lift the bars out of the baking dish until they have cooled completely.