Everyone wants to be that person who brings the best food to the party. If you agree, these amazing meatballs are for you! Spicy Italian sausage and well-marbled chuck combine to make a lusciously rich meatball. The spice from the meatballs pairs perfectly with earthy mushrooms, sweet sherry caramelized shallots and sumptuous cream. Italian Parsley is more than just a garnish--it is a must to complete the flavor profile; bright, herbaceous, slightly bitter parsley serves as a perfect counterpoint to the rich, spicy and slightly swet sauce. I served the meatballs with toothpicks and photographed them on bamboo skewers. If you don't have a party to take these meatballs to they would be excellent over spätzle or egg noodles or even mashed potatoes.
Spicy Italian Sausage and Beef Meatballs in Mushroom Cream
Makes approx 2 dozen mini meatballs
2 1/2 spicy Italian pork sausages, casings removed
8 ounces ground chuck
1/4 cup cream
2 Tablespoons sherry
2 Tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces mushroom caps, sliced
1 shallot, diced
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons Italian parsley leaves, chiffonaded
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Gently mix sausage and beef together and form them into mini meatballs 1 - 1.5" in diameter. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add olive oil. Place meatballs in pan in a single layer. Cook 2 -3 minutes on each side to develop a sear and render some of the fat into the pan.
2. When meatballs are browned on all sides, remove from pan and set aside. Drain approximately half of the fat from the pan. Turn the heat down a smidge and add your butter.
3. When the butter is melted, turn the heat back up to medium and sautee the diced shallots until they begin to brown. When they have caramelized somewhat, add in sherry to deglaze the pan. Allow the sherry to cook into the onions. Add salt, to taste
4. When the liquid has mostly evaporated, add mushrooms and pepper to taste and sautee until cooked through.
5. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and add cream. Stir to incorporate and when the cream has been just heated through pour quickly over meatballs.
6. Serve with chiffonade of parsley and toothpicks and enjoy.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and I welcome your feedback!