Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Favorite Basic Burger

I'm posting this recipe for two reasons: one, I'm participating in a World Cup recipe event and in honor of the USA I present my favorite burger recipe; the other reason is the season: grilling! If you want to add some punch to your regular burger try this recipe. What differentiates it, I hear you asking? Well, herbaceous thyme elevates the flavor from plain old slab of ground beef to delicately seasoned easy gourmet. Grainy brown mustard lends a zesty kick and the perfect amount of acid to complement the fatty beef patties. And the "secret" ingredient, a flavor that compliments the smoky grill flavor? Sesame oil. I've tried these patties with sharp cheddar and they were delicious--I'm sure your favorite sharp cheese will be just as tasty on them! In the pic you can see my veggies grilling--onions and zucchinis.

My Favorite Burgers


Makes 8 small burgers (4 ounce) or 4 large burgers (8 ounce)

2 lbs. ground chuck or 85/15 grass fed ground beef
3 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 Teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 Teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4-8 buns (depending upon the size you make your burgers)

1. Pulse onion, thyme, oil and pepper in a blender until all ingredients are smooth.
2. In a large salad bowl, mix all ingredients.
3. Form into loose patties. Handling and/or packing the meat as little as possible will produce more juicy and tender burgers.
4. Grill over medium flame for 3-4 minutes per side for the small burgers and 5-6 minutes per side for large burgers (both cooking times are for well-done burgers).

I hope you enjoy this recipe and I welcome your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment