Friday, May 9, 2014

Basil, My Grapefruitini, Please!

This post is a little...different. Different in that not only is this recipe easy, it requires absolutely *no cooking* and is a delicious, refreshing cocktail to beat the late spring, early summer heat. In fact, I'm sipping one occasionally as I type this!

Hopefully this works to cool you down, as well! This cocktail would probably be great with a lemon-y greek dish (or something with citrus flavors, like a simple lemon butter trout) and would also compliment a curry, particularly a coconut milk based Thai or Malaysian curry--particularly if made with Thai Basil.

Fizzy Basil Grapefruitini


(fills 2 6 ounce martini glasses)

Juice of one ruby red grapefruit

1/3 cup soda water

4 basil leaves, torn into large pieces

3 ounces gin

1/3 cup ice cubes

1. Add ice to your cocktail shaker and then scatter shredded basil over the ice. Using the handle of a wooden cook spoon, crush the basil gently into the ice.
2. When the basil smell starts to get strong and you begin to notice its liquorice scent, add all other ingredients.
3. Put the lid on the shaker and holding it down, shake to combine all ingredients. Count to five slowly as you shake.
4. Strain and serve with a basil bud and a little strip of grapefruit skin* as garnish.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and I welcome your feedback!

*If you wish you use a grapefruit skin garnish remove a part of the skin with a vegetable peeler prior to squeezing it for juice. I noticed my edges were uneven, so I trimmed it with a paring knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment