I first made this yummy spa water to accompany my Christmas dinner (orange + mint seems to me to be very Christmas-y, for some reason). It was inspired by the quick, fresh fruit juice and herb sodas Jamie Oliver is so fond of making. I used the juice of four large oranges, plus an entire pint of club soda, but if you want your spa water to taste more aggressively of oranges, you should consider adding the juice of an additional orange or two. This refreshing drink is great on its own, but it can also be mixed with vodka, gin or tequila. For a really yummy treat with either vodka or gin, try making lemon and fresh ginger spa water.
Orange and Mint Spa Water
4 large oranges
1 liter of club soda
1 cup of cubed ice
1 heaping Tablespoon fresh mint leaves
Optional: 1 Tablespoon sweetener (I recommend trying it without sweetener first)
1. Cut the oranges in half and squeeze the juice into the pitcher through your fingers, to catch any seeds. When cleaning the mint and pulling the leaves off of the stems, set aside a few nice looking buds for garnish.
2. Add ice, then mint.
3. Using the handle of a clean, long-handled spoon, crush the ice and mint together.
4. Once you've gently shredded the mint into the ice (muddled the mint), top up with club soda.
5. Turn your spoon around and mix together all ingredients. Taste and add sweetener if desired.
6. Serve alone, or with spirits, garnished with the mint buds.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I welcome your feedback!